6 Feng Shui Tips for Your Home OfficeFebruary 15, 2019
From experience as a feng shui consultant who works from a home based office, as well as from the experience of numerous home and office feng shui clients, working from a home office presents two major challenges:
- Separating business and home life
- Lack of stimulating social (business-related) interaction.
At the same time, working from home brings numerous benefits to one’s lifestyle, and feng shui can sure help you make the best of it! If this is the path you’ve chosen for yourself, we would like to help you create a successful home office by sharing some basic feng shui office tips.
Your Office Should Be Far From Your Bedroom
An important office feng shui guideline is to have your home office as far from your bedroom as possible. If the layout of your house allows, having a separate entrance to your home office is ideal. If this is not feasible, be sure to create as much division as possible between your office area and your bedroom; this is the basis of good home office feng shui.
Plan With Productivity in Mind
Plan your home office with your success, well-being, and productivity in mind. Think of specific images, feng shui colors, meaningful career memorabilia and appropriate decor items that make you feel successful, appreciated, and happy.
Since you are working from home, feel free to fully express your creativity in decorating your office. Depending on your chosen field, you need to make sure your home office reflects the energy you want to project in the world.
Quality of Air and the Quality of Light
Be mindful of the quality of air and the quality of light (natural and artificial) in your home office, as these are two of the good feng shui must-haves. If your brain is starving for oxygen and your body does not get enough natural light, you will not enjoy being in your home office no matter how much you love your job.
Consider investing in full-spectrum lights and bring at least a couple of air-purifying plants into your home office. The energy of plants will refresh not only the energy of your space but also your own energy.
Attract Successful Energies to Your Work Area
Position your desk in the so-called feng shui commanding position to attract stronger and more successful energies to your work area. A feng shui commanding position means you do not have your back to the door; your desk is positioned further from the door and not in line with it.
Be also mindful of not facing a wall while working at your desk. If you have to face the wall, use feng shui to make the wall “disappear” with smart use of art.
Three Important Areas for the Best Feng Shui Energy
Feng shui-wise, there are 3 important areas in your home office that need to be treated properly for best feng shui energy.
- South area (Fame and Reputation), or, a more exact translation, your “Light in the World.” Its feng shui energy is Fire, so be mindful about nor having color blue, big mirrors, fountains or images of water in this area, as Water element puts down the Fire energy.
- North area (Career or Path in Life). The feng shui element here is Water, so this is the feng shui area for items representing water, as well as Metal (Metal creates Water in the feng shui 5 elements cycle.) Without making it sound too complicated, you can place inspiring images related to your career in black or white frame colors in the North area of your home office.
- Southeast area (Prosperity and Abundance). Bring images or items that speak to you of money and abundance. The feng shui element here is Wood, so you need to avoid Fire images, as well as too much Metal.
Use Feng Shui to Clear Clutter and Organize Your Home Office
Schedule as many clutter clearing sessions as needed until there are no hidden (or obvious!) cluttered spots in your office. As clutter drains your energy and dampens your best intentions, you need to create a clear system, and not let clutter ruin your health and your business.
Mark a feng shui clutter clearing day on your calendar and you will be surprised how much better, more enthusiastic and energetic you feel the next day. That is, provided that you have actually dealt with the clutter, rather than just contemplated the idea of clutter clearing!
These are just a few of the basic feng shui priorities to guarantee a high level of energy in your home office. Once you have dealt with the energy of your office, be sure your bedroom energy is well taken care of, too. Everything is connected on a subtle feng shui energy level and you do not want to leave anything out in your quest for a successful home-based business!